Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Whole Lot of Nothing

I have debated over the past week whether or not I want to keep this blog. I even deleted it, and then a few days later undeleted it. I'm having a lot of mixed feelings. Why?

Because I'm not sure if I want to get this personal with the world. I'm not just talking about the online world. I'm just not sure if I want to let people get to know me this well. Because I think a lot of people don't know me very well at all. And I'm afraid to change that.

But I'm going to take a little leap of faith. I'm going to assume that people won't stop being my friend if they get to know some of my actual opinions on things (and on the flip side, I'm going to assume that if they do stop being my friend then they are super lame). And I wouldn't be doing this, except for one reason.

I think I need to write.

One of my amazing professors, Steve Walker, once told me after reading some of my work that if he could write that well he would keep writing. He even told me that of all the students he has seen come through BYU, he can only think of two who were better writers than me (yup, I'm bragging a little bit right here). What he said really stuck with me and whenever I think about it I feel guilty because I rarely ever write. So this is going to be my attempt to push myself to write.

But please don't expect anything very profound, or even well written (or even correctly written) from this blog. Because my hope is that it will just get me to start getting words and ideas out there again, and maybe that will prompt me to write in a more professional manner. Maybe not. But I love to write. Even if I have nothing to say at all. So here's to the future of a whole lot of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment